Announcing the 6th Calliope’s Call
Art Song and Vocal Chamber Music Call for Scores
To close our 2020-2021 season, Calliope’s Call will present I, too, sing America, a concert program consisting of musical settings of texts by Black poets and writers. In celebration of the Black experience in America, this program will give voice to under-represented perspectives during a time when these voices need to be heard. Through this score call we hope to identify new works to include on this unique program.
Composers whose work is selected will receive:
-Texts selected for use in composition submission must be written by a Black writer or poet. We are looking for submissions that should fit the theme I, too, sing America. This theme is meant to celebrate the Black experience in America and give voice to under-represented perspectives during a time when these voices need to be heard.
- Submitted works must be for any combination of soprano, tenor, baritone, and piano, and can be written for solo voice, duet, or trio (STB). Works that feature other instruments besides piano cannot be considered at this time.
- Works for duo or trio will be given priority and applicants are encouraged to submit works for more than one voice if possible.
- Works may be a cappella or with piano.
- Works must be no longer than 10’ in duration. Longer works may be submitted as long as there is a possibility to excerpt portions or movements of the piece.
- Please only submit original art songs; excerpts of operatic works will not be considered.
- Submissions from any composer, regardless of age, race, or citizenship, are welcome.
- Compositions may not require electronics of any kind. Our venues are not able to support electronic set-ups;
- Limit 1 work per $15 application fee. Applicants may submit up to 3 applications with the following fee structure:
2 works for $25 application fee
3 works for $30 application fee
Each composer must submit:
All materials will be submitted online.
Instructions for Submitting Materials:
– All materials (Application form, Score, Recordings, Biography, Paragraph about the work) should be uploaded to the Calliope’s Call website at: http://calliopescall.org/score_call.php
- All uploaded documents, scores, and recordings must be labeled in the following manner:
Last name_First name_Title (i.e. Doe_Jane_Biography)
- Multi-movement works may be submitted as different tracks, with the following titles:
Last name_First name_Title_Movement (i.e. Doe_Jane_ArtSong_1)
- Please only submit files and Paypal payments once: if you experience a problem with your submission, please contact Evan Leontis with your questions.
- All materials (Application form, Score, Recordings, Biography, Paragraph about the work) should be uploaded to Calliope’s Call (below)
All materials must be received by February 1, 2021 and applicants will be notified by e-mail no later than March 1, 2021 as to the outcome of the competition.
For further information or questions, please email Evan Leontis
Applications Accepted beginning September 1, 2020